Home | Location | News | Photographs | Archaeology | Biology | The team | Links | History

 

THE HISTORY OF FILEY BRIGG

 

 

 

'The Place has, moreover, great capabilities for improvement; is well adapted for trade, and might, by the hand of man , be transformed into a beautiful retreat for the sickly or the gay' - John Cole (on Filey Brigg) 1828

  • To modern eyes Filey Brigg may seem to be a natural rock promontory but appearances are deceptive. In late Roman times a sizeable Roman Signal Station occupied the cliff above the Brigg (Carr Naze).

  • In  medieval times and later large parts of the Brigg were quarried away to provide stone for Hunmanby, Bridlington Priory and Bridlington Harbour. It is likely that such activities greatly accelerated the severe erosion that can be seen on the Brigg today.